Rustic Croque Monsieur Recipe #RealCheesePeople8:04 PM
The key ingredient for an excellent croque monsieur is great quality cheese. After all, you can't make a great ham and cheese sandwich without quality cheese can you? When we are looking for delicious cheese, Sargento is always our first choice, and Sargento® Sliced Cheese was the perfect choice for this recipe. Sargento Slices are 100% real, natural cheese cut off the block, so you never have to wonder about what you're getting. Processed cheese food is only required by the FDA to have 51% cheese in it. I wonder what the other 49% is made of?
Croque Monsieur sandwiches are traditionally made with Gruyere cheese, but I prefer the more mild taste of Provolone, so that is what I chose to go with for my recipe creation. Paired with fresh tavern ham and a freshly made batch of bechamel sauce, this is a really winner for any recipe collection.
- Good quality fresh, rustic bread slices
- Sargento Provolone cheese slices
- Tavern ham slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- herbs de provence
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt one tablespoon of butter. Add in 1 tablespoon of flour and stir frequently until the mixture begins to brown. Slowly add in all of the milk stirring or mixing well until all lumps are out.
3. Continue to cook the bechamel sauce mixture over medium heat until it thickens and gets an elastic type feel to it. Remove from the heat and add one Sargento Provolone cheese slice. Stir well until completely melted. Set sauce aside to cool.