10 Ways the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group is Committing to Balance and Active Play #DPSBalance11:00 PM
Some of my boys are hardcore Dr. Pepper fans, but it wasn't until I had the opportunity to attend a virtual briefing with the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group that I realized just how many of their products that we use on a daily basis. In fact, Dr. Pepper Snapple is the third largest beverage manufacturer in the U.S., with more than 50 brands of carbonated soft drinks, teas, juices and mixers under their group. In fact, out of their 14 biggest brands, 13 of them rank number 1 or 2 in their respective categories. Brands that we use often and I was surprised to see included in the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group include Mott's, IBC root beer, Hawaiian Punch and Crush.
Dr. Pepper's Commitment to Balance and Active Play
Dr. Pepper Snapple Group understands that health is important. They strongly believe in creating a healthy balance between the calories you take in through food and drink and the calories you burn through physical activity. For years they have been working on efforts as part of their commitment to this balance and providing children everywhere with opportunities for active play, but how are they doing that?
1. Lowering Calories - While continuing to provide a full range of products, Dr. Pepper Snapple Group is dedicating at least 50% of their innovative projects are focused on reducing calories, offering smaller portion sizes and improving nutrition.
2. Providing Awareness and Education - Through their website dpsgproductfacts.com, the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group is an in-depth look at the nutritional information for each of their most popular products, giving people the information needed to make informed choices.
3. Support Other Healthy Initiatives - Dr. Pepper Snapple Group is supporting local and national programs that encourage active lifestyles and fitness, which emphasize burning calories. For instance, they voluntarily took full-calorie beverages out of schools through the School Beverage Guidelines which have reduced the calories in beverages shipped to schools by more than 90%.
4. Enlisting Qualified Professionals - Before the briefing that I attended, I had no idea what went into some of the positions at the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group. The enlist a whole team of scientists, engineers and specialists to create new great tasting products. They have 4 research and development labs throughout the country, and have hired Flavor Application Scientists who require a 7-10 year apprenticeship to earn their title.
5. Provide Options for All Markets - Dr. Pepper has options for every market. For instance, when they noticed the market of men was avoiding low calories or no calorie beverages that said Diet, they created the TEN lineup, low calorie beverages with just 10 calories per 12 ounce can, that are marketed specifically to men. They have also created products that cater to those who prefer natural sweeteners, many of their sodas including 7UP, Dr. Pepper and Canada Dry feature naturally sweetened options that are made with real sugar and Stevia. They have also created a line of Mott's juices that feature 40% less sugar and 100% of the daily value of Vitamin C.
6. Acknowledging the Play Deficit - Dr. Pepper Snapple Group understands that there is a play deficit in the country today. They acknowledge that there is a growing problem. In fact, only 20% of children in the country even live near a park and two-thirds of children get less than an hour of play per day. Children are getting an average of 12 hours less of free time per week now, and kids ages 8-18 spend an average of 7.5 hours on media per day.
7. Started the Let's Play Initiative - In 2011, Dr. Pepper Snapple Group started the Let's Play Initiative to help struggling communities beat the play deficit. To date, they have committed over $28 million through the Let's Play Initiative.
8. Teamed Up with KaBOOM! and Good Sports - Dr. Pepper Snapple Group has partnered with two non-profit organizations, KaBOOM! and Good Sports to help fight the play deficit. In partnership with KaBOOM!, they are working to provide places for younger kids to play with grants for playground improvements and funds to build new playgrounds. In partnership with Good Sports, Dr. Pepper Snapple Group is providing tools through sports equipment grants that benefit underfunded youth.
Since partnering with KaBOOM!, Dr. Pepper Snapple Group has helped build or fix up 2,188 playgrounds across the country and have helped donate $1.6 million in grants for new sports equipment through their partnership with Good Sports.
9. Provide Inspiration - Dr. Pepper Snapple Group provides inspiration to parents, children and organizations through their LetsPlay.com website. The website brings original play ideas, a playground locator tool, and information on Let's Play grants that are available.
10. Nominate Someone for a Grant - Through the Let's Play program on LetsPlay.com, you can fill out a form to nominate a grantee to receive refurbishment help or a new playground.
This post was written in collaboration with the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, all opinions are my own.