Holiday Stocking Surprise Cookie Recipe #SweetSwaps11:30 PM
This post is part of the SPLENDA® 365 SWEET SWAPS ™ blogger program by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC. and The Motherhood, who sent me products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are my own, and I hope you enjoy them.
This time of year, we are all feeling a little guilty about the holiday treats we choose to indulge in. For as long as I can remember, my mom has made a fantastic display of Christmas cookies. My favorites are always the stocking cookies with special surprises inside. I have nibbled on them each and every year. This year, I wanted to eat them without feeling quite as guilty, so I did a little Sweet Swap with SPLENDA® No Calorie Granulated Sweetener, and for the first time ever, tried replicating her recipe.
Know what? It came out fantastic. I used an each portion of SPLENDA, and swapped it for the 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar called for in the original recipe. The result? The same delicious cookies I love with a little less guilt. Did you know that the average American consumes more than 22 teaspoons of added sugar per day? That is more than triple the recommended amount for women and double for men!
SPLENDA® products can be used as a substitution for sugar in your coffee, cooking, baking, pretty much anything you would use sugar for. They have a wide range of products including:
- SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Packets
- SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Flavors for Coffee, French Vanilla
- SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
Want to cut out added sugar and calories in your diet? Visit 365SweetSwaps.com for 365 ways to swap out sugar for SPLENDA® as well as other healthy tips and recipes too. You can even submit your own unique recipes at www.365SweetSwaps.com/
Holiday Stocking Surprise Cookies
1/2 c. SPLENDA® No Calorie Granulated Sweetener
1 c. Shortening
1 tsp. red food coloring
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
white cookie icing
1. Mix together SPLENDA, shortening, food coloring, vanilla and almond extracts in a mixer until smooth.
2. Stir together the flour and salt in a separate bowl and then slowly add into the sugar mixture a little at a time until blended well.
3. Place the dough in the fridge to chill for one hour.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Shape 1 tablespoon of dough into a thick oblong shape.
6. Make a small dent down the center of the oblong shape and fill with a chocolate chip, piece of walnut and piece of cherry. Cover over the surprises inside the cookie and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Once on the cookie sheet, shape the cookies into the shape of a stocking.
8. Bake for 10 minutes.
9. Let cool and then use cookie decorating icing to ice the top, toe and heel of each stocking cookie.
Want to cut out more sugar from your diet? Visit SPLENDA.com/recipes for more ideas!