Homemade Bread Pudding = Real Southern Comfort Food9:54 AM
Growing up, one of my absolute favorite things was my mom's homemade bread pudding. Not dry and chunky like some, but smooth and moist. Real southern bread pudding! It is so good and when it is served warm with some vanilla ice cream, I am in heaven.
6 slices bread
2 tbs. sugar
2 tbs. melted butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. sugar
2 c. skim milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut bread slices into fourths and place in a square baking dish. Brush bread with butter and sprinkle with 2 tbs. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon mixture.
2. Mix together 4 eggs, 2 cups skim milk, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
3. Pour liquid mixture over the bread in the baking dish, being careful to cover everything evenly.
4. Place baking dish in a few inches of water held in a larger container to create a double broiler. (see picture)
5. Bake covered for 45 minutes and then uncover for the remaining 15 minutes of baking time. Bread pudding is done when you can place a knife in the middle and it comes out clean.